Monday, May 07, 2007

Beginners!

There are so many things I am learning, and I feel like such a beginner in so many ways. Sometimes, it is almost embarassing how much I don't know. But the truth is, I hope I always maintain a beginner's mind. The greatest hindrance to learning is believing that we already know. That's not to say we don't know. But much of what we know is hidden and waiting to be discovered. That's why I am so turned on by exploration. There is joy and understanding and love and beauty hidden within like buried treasure waiting to be uncovered.

I remember always feeling like a beginner when it came to bringing up my children. Oh, I tried learning all I could from the "experts", hoping to avoid as many mistakes as possible. But often my children didn't respond to the expert techniques like they were supposed to. :-) So, then I would listen to my intuition and when I followed it, I invariably discovered that I held the key to my children's hearts, not some expert with fifty letters behind her name. I eventually relaxed into the understanding that parenting is a shot in the dark. And that as long as I love my kids immensely and intensely and make sure they know it, everything would work out okay. Even my mistakes would all prove forgivable.

And so, as the lifetime student I am, I will keep learning and exploring and opening my mind and heart to new possibilities. And I expect I will always be a kindergartner at heart - joyous in the expectation of discovery and exploration. Care to join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Please feel free to leave your comment, and as long as it's not spammy or troll-y, I'll be happy to approve it.