Thursday, January 11, 2007

Warning! Warning!

I think there should be a warning on the cover of books by and about great minds and forward thinkers that reads something like this: "Warning! Assimilating the ideas and information contained herein could cause severe expansion of the mind. There is a possibility that the ensuing growth could reach critical mass resulting in the complete dissolution of life as you now know it. There may occur a dissociation with ideas, relationships and methods of operation that supported the structure of your "safe" life. And you may find yourself sailing without a compass as you leave behind the shores of Play-It-Safe for the purpose of discovering new and uncharted territory. With these warnings in mind, read on, if you dare."

When I relinquished my title as Queen of Play-It-Safe, I had no idea that I would be challenged in the ways I have been. I knew that I could no longer tolerate playing it safe. It was like being a zombie, not really living, not quite dead. But I did not know that between leaving behind the "safety" of the old life, and entering into the larger life I have envisioned, there would be a passage through dark, forbidding waters, full of all sorts of dangers that are mostly figments of my imagination. I didn't know that I would feel lost much of the time. I did believe and I do believe that dangers that are created in the imagination can be annihilated in the same way they are created. They are only thoughts, and thoughts can be changed instantly.

I can just make out a lighthouse beacon signifying the approach of land. What a welcome sight!

“Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor
do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is
no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.” -Helen Keller

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Please feel free to leave your comment, and as long as it's not spammy or troll-y, I'll be happy to approve it.