Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Missed Connections and Great Minds

I seem to be missing connections quite a bit these days. This morning, I was supposed to meet a group of people for the Get Motivated seminar we were all heading for downtown, and I missed everybody. I am not sure what happened because I didn't see them all day.

The seminar was great though. I got there late, and missed part of Steve Forbes' presentation, but I heard enough to consider writing him in on the ballot for the presidential election.

We heard Peter Lowe, who along with his wife, hosts the seminar. He demonstrated how we can use visualization to improve, and actually make more improvement than through mere practice. He had us do a range of motion exercise, and after we visualized reaching much further than we had the first time, we were actually able to reach further. He suggested that sometimes practice serves to lock into our minds what our limits are. They are false limits, however, and when we can see ourselves going further, reaching higher, doing more in our imaginations, it becomes effortless to repeat that success in reality. So, in order to improve in any area, mentally rehearse the success you desire. It works.

Tom Hopkins was there, and gave us a new way to look at rejection related to sales and negotiation. For instance, he suggests that if a sale normally makes you $100.00 and it takes 5 qualified contacts to result in one sale, each person that says "no" is worth $25.00 to you. So, just thank them for the $25.00 and move on. :-)

Tom also gave us the Champion Creed, which reads, "I am not judged by the number of times I fall, but by the number of times I succeed. And the number of times I succeed is in direct proportion to the number of times I can fail and keep trying!"

General Colin Powell spoke also, and one significant thing he said was "I don't like looking in the rearview mirror of life. I live viewing life through the front windshield."

We heard Phil Town on Demystifying the Stock Market. Very, very good information.

George Foreman spoke on Lessons in Success from the Comeback King. He said, "If you start from the bottom, you can only go one direction."

Finally, we heard Robert Schuller remind us to start small, think big and never quit.

Pretty awesome stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Please feel free to leave your comment, and as long as it's not spammy or troll-y, I'll be happy to approve it.