Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Real Friendship

Sometimes the people we think are the cruelest are really doing us a kindness. I've had friends who refused to support my weakness by letting me lean. It felt harsh, but it forced me to stand on my own two feet and find my own strength.

After I was done being pissed off, I was able to be deeply grateful for the respect they showed me by giving me the chance to find my own way.

In the same way, even those who hurt us are doing us a favor. They are revealing to us areas in which we need to grow and develop strength.

There are people who will always tell us what we want to hear, and will never require of us our best. Dare we call them "friends"?

I don't think so. I think a real friend will bring out the best in us, and encourage us to live up to the grandest version of who we can be. Even when it hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Please feel free to leave your comment, and as long as it's not spammy or troll-y, I'll be happy to approve it.