Friday, June 06, 2008

Patience and Desire

I have often heard people ask me how I can be so patient, especially when they see how I am with children or when they know how long I've waited for a certain thing or condition in my life.

What I try to explain is that patience is a practice. One can practice patience in spite of feeling an urgency for the manifestation of a thing or condition. Of course, it's a whole lot more pleasant when we bring our feelings in line with our decision to practice patience.

There have been times when I have tired of waiting for Spirit to unfold some manifestation in my life, and I tried to take things into my own hands. The trouble is, a long time ago, I invited Wisdom into my life, and once you invite her, forever after she has a voice on the council of your soul. And Wisdom has this rather incessant habit of butting in at inopportune (or should I say, opportune?) times. "Now, are you sure this is the direction you want to move in? I mean, you can do whatever you want, but be aware that this could result in...yada, yada, yada, whatever." Wisdom feels like a total killjoy, even when you know she is a preserver of real joy. Hey, that rhymes. Maybe I should write a poem...nah.

The point is, patience is a practice. Therefore, it can be learned, if one is willing to gain mastery over the voice of desire even when it is screaming its wishes into every cell and atom of your being. Now, I am not a proponent of annihilating desire. I think it adds a little spice to life. I just don't believe it should be the only voice on the council. But, then again, what do I know?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Please feel free to leave your comment, and as long as it's not spammy or troll-y, I'll be happy to approve it.